Generally it is considered that poor oral hygiene conditions leading to development of dental plaque and tartar deposits owing to local factors dominate the factors responsible for the occurrence of dental and gum diseases in your mouth. Systemic diseases which may lead to the increased incidence of dental decay and gum problems are among the most commonly overlooked reasons by majority of dental health care professionals as well as patients themselves. It is extremely necessary to share your complete medical history with your dentist in order to help him/her in making the exact diagnosis of your oral disease. Keep reading to know more about Albuquerque New Mexico Dentist For Diabetes Mellitus
Heart diseases, diabetes mellitus, bone disorders such as osteoporosis, respiratory abnormalities and cancers have been associated with oral and dental diseases. Your own 24 hours emergency skilled cosmetic & restorative dentist Dr William C Gardner at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC put special emphasis upon taking thorough medical and systemic disease history for the confirmation of definitive diagnosis and cause of your oral abnormalities and assessment of the need for referral to the medical specialists.
Q. WHAT IS DIABETES MELLITUS?
A. Diabetes mellitus is among the most frequently associated systemic disorder which can adversely affect your gums and teeth. This metabolic disease is characterized by high levels of glucose and sugars within your blood owing to abnormalities of insulin production. Excessive urination, increased thirst and hunger are the major symptoms of this disease.
Q. HOW DIABETES AFFECTS MY TEETH AND GUMS?
A. Diabetes means higher quantities of sugar in your body. Increased sugar levels in saliva as well as reduced saliva production account for the higher incidence of dental decay and weakening of tooth structure. High salivary glucose concentrations provide nutrients for caries causing microorganisms resulting in the production of acidic by products responsible for the development of dental caries.
Furthermore, increased dental plaque and tartar deposition takes place especially between gums and teeth resulting swollen, reddish and inflamed gums. If left unchecked and untreated, this infection can involve the supporting ligaments and root area of teeth. This condition is termed as periodontitis which is associated with loosening and eventual loss of natural teeth. Diabetes means delay in healing of wounds and infections as well as defective formation and maturation of collagen particles which forms an important part of the attachment apparatus of your teeth.
Q. WHICH ORAL PROBLEMS MOST COMMONLY OCCUR DUE TO DIABETES?
A. Diabetes mellitus show numerous oral manifestations especially periodontitis. This is among the top six complications of this metabolic disorder. Thus, it includes,
• Swollen, puffy, reddish, unhealthy gums which bleed even on gentle tooth brushing,
• Pulled away gums from teeth causing loosening and mobility of teeth,
• Severe infection of gums and surrounding ligaments with associated bone loss and accumulation of pus around teeth. To know more about Albuquerque New Mexico Dentist For Diabetes Mellitus, call us now.
More Oral Problems:
• Dry mouth known as xerostomia,
• Increased occurrence of fungal infections caused by candida albicans,
• Burning mouth sensations,
• Soreness of mouth becauseof the health condition
• Non-healing ulcerations,
• Increased occurrence of tooth decay,
• Altered taste sensation and perception – this is so uncomfortable.
• Foul smell and bad breath in spite of regular tooth brushing habits
Q. HOW CAN I KEEP MY MOUTH HEALTHY IF I HAVE DIABETES?
A. Your blood sugar levels need monitoring by expert medical specialist in order to prevent the development of oral manifestations of this disorder. Follow certain measures regularly for ensuring healthy gums and teeth,
• Refrain from excessive intake of refined sugars,
• Take healthy meals and follow balanced diet plan,
• Keep your body weight in check because it can be unhealthy
• Brush your teeth regularly at least twice a day with the help of fluoride containing tooth paste especially after taking meals,
• Use soft bristled tooth brush to prevent harm to tender gums,
• You can use dental floss thread regularly for cleaning areas between teeth,
• Use fluoride containing mouth wash for rinsing your mouth, so it helps for dental health.
• Anti-plaque mouth rinses are helpful because it is refreshing
• You can use water jets devices for the disruption of developing dental plaque layer,
• If you are using dentures, keep these clean and take out of mouth at night before sleeping,
• Go to your dentist for regular scaling, polishing and cleaning at least twice per year because it is crucial for dental health.
Do you have cosmetic defects in your teeth? Is it making your smile less pleasant? Is this owing to decayed, missing, crowded, crooked, mal-aligned or mal-posed teeth? You can visit your 24 hours emergency Albuquerque New Mexico dentist Dr William C Gardner. Book an appointment at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC. He is available throughout day and night. He focuses upon best solution for improving your dental and oral health conditions. Call us for Albuquerque New Mexico Dentist For Diabetes Mellitus