Your front teeth make up an important component of your overall facial profile, beauty and smile makeover. Attractive and charming smiles impart confidence, appeal and self-esteem to your personality. Front teeth are highly prone to get damaged in the event of trauma, blow and injuries during falls and accidents in everyday life.
Importance Of Enamel
Enamel makes up the outermost, irreparable and hardest layer of human teeth but sudden blow or impact force and biting hard food stuff and objects can fracture or chip it off leading to handicapped structure, function and esthetics. Severe blows during sports in the playground especially in young children and teenagers may lead to knocking out of teeth as a whole from the bony sockets.
Special management is warranted immediately in order to save the viability of nerves of teeth for the preservation of natural tooth structure and functions. Albuquerque New Mexico 24 hours emergency specialist cosmetic & restorative dentist Dr William C Gardner at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC thoroughly guides and advises his patients regarding the necessary steps taken at home before visiting the dental health care professionals for permanent treatment of the condition.
Q. WHICH INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD I FOLLOW IN CASE OF CHIPPED OFF, KNOCKED OUT OR TRAUMATIZED FRONT TEETH?
A. Dr William C Gardener advises you to perform certain steps in order to save the integrity of your teeth and periodontal ligament health surrounding the root of teeth,
• Collect and save broken tooth fragments or completely knocked out tooth extremely carefully in order to prevent further damage to the attached periodontal ligament fibers around the root portion which will determine the future chances of tooth survival,
• Never touch the roots of knocked out teeth. Always hold teeth from the crown portion,
• Tooth should be gently rinsed in slightly warm water for just 5-10 seconds to remove dirt particles from the surface,
• Never aggressively rub, scrape or apply alcohol on the surface of tooth to clean it,
• Rinse your mouth with warm water.
Q. WHAT SHOULD BE THE IMMEDIATE STEPS OF MANAGEMENT?
A. Following steps help on the site of accident or injury:
• Re-implant tooth back into the empty socket after cleaning with warm water and irrigating the socket space with water,
• Put firm pressure on the re-implanted tooth by biting on a clean cloth or gauze or cotton roll whichever is available easily on the spot,
• If re-implantation of tooth is not possible, it is safe in an appropriate storage medium such as cold milk or especially formulated Hank’s Balanced Salt Solution which is commonly available in first aid box in schools and sports parks
• Tooth also stays well in between your cheeks and gums in case no appropriate medium is available,
• Apply Vaseline or some other topical medication on your lips and skin in case of bruises and lacerations,
• An over the counter painkiller can help to get relief of pain and discomfort,
Call your emergency dentist for further instructions and booking an appointment for the long term definitive management of damaged tooth.
Q. WHAT SHOULD BE DONE IF ONLY SMALL FRAGMENT OF THE WHOLE TOOTH GETS CHIPPED OFF OR BREAKS?
A. Broken and chipped tooth parts gets good treatment in the dental office. Broken portions is safe in the above-mentioned media and brought to the dental clinic. Specially manufactured dental materials are in use at the dental health care clinic and professionals. This is for re-attachment of these tooth parts for the restoration of structure. It is also for function and natural looks of the teeth for producing beautiful smiles.
Do you have cosmetic defects in your teeth? Is it making your smile less pleasant? Is this owing to decayed, missing, crowded, crooked, mal-aligned or mal-posed teeth? You can visit your 24 hours emergency Albuquerque New Mexico dentist Dr William C Gardner. Book an appointment at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC. He is available throughout day and night. He focuses upon best solution for improving your dental and oral health conditions.