Are you looking for Emergency Dentist Albuquerque?
Swollen and enlarged gums can cause problems in chewing, eating, drinking and speaking in your daily life. In addition to functional abnormalities, bleeding and inflamed gums can ruin your smiles. People feel handicapped during their presentations at work and during lectures in universities due to compromised condition of gums. Poor oral hygiene conditions and accumulation of tartar deposits usually account for majority of gum swellings.
However, simple cleaning procedures are sufficient for treating minor plaque and tartar induced puffy gums. Your own 24 hours emergency specialist cosmetic & restorative dentist Dr William C Gardner at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC. He focuses upon educating his patients about the causes responsible for enlarged gums and their treatment. Call for Emergency Dentist Albuquerque.
Q. WHY MY GUMS BECOME ENLARGED AND SWOLLEN? Time to get in touch with Emergency Dentist Albuquerque!
A. Enlarged, bleeding, swollen and puffy gums can develop due to,
• Gingivitis or inflammation of gums,
• Poor oral cleaning habits,
• Excessive use of some drugs such as Phenytoin, ciclosporin etc,
• Excessive tobacco and alcohol consumption habits,
• Mouth breathing, crowded and crooked teeth,
• Certain systemic conditions such as Diabetes Mellitus, heart diseases and viral infections,
• Teenage girls during puberty undergo hormonal changes which can causes gum swellings,
• Pregnant women,
• Inherited conditions,
• Blood disorders such as leukemia.
Q. WHAT ARE THE FEATURES OF GUM SWELLING?
A. It can cause,
• Discomfort due to pain or swelling
• Red, puffy and tender,
• Inability to eat and chew,
• Profuse bleeding on tooth brushing,
• Interference with speaking,
• Poor appearance,
• Compromised smiles,
• Bad breath,
• Bad taste because of infection
Q. HOW CAN I PREVENT GUM SWELLING?
A. Removal of dental plaque before its conversion in hard stony calculus and tartar is necessary. Following measures can ensure prevention of abnormal gum enlargement,
• Proper cleaning and brushing of teeth and gums,
• Use of dental floss to clean areas between two teeth,
• Frequent mouth rinsing with an antibacterial mouth wash,
• Use of water picks and jets for cleaning deep areas in mouth.
Q. WHAT TREATMENT OPTIONS CAN BE SELECTED FOR MANAGEMENT OF GUM SWELLINGS?
A. Management of swollen and enlarged gums depends upon the exact underlying cause of the condition. Removal of the cause institutes the major step. Call your Emergency Dentist Albuquerque for further help.
However, following options must be taken under consideration,
• Proper tooth brushing and gum cleaning so that infections are away,
• Mouth rinsing using antiseptic and anti-plaque solutions,
• Professional scaling and polishing procedures,
• Consultation with an expert periodontologist so that there is complete check-up
• Ultrasonic teeth cleaning procedures,
• Laser gum treatments – thus total treatment is assured.
• Surgical gum treatments because delays shouldnt be encouraged
• Use of specific antibiotics where necessary because the infection needs to be reduced
• Discontinuation of the use of culprit drugs
So, call us right away and book an appointment!